Genealogical Essentials consists of the following four modules:
Laying the Foundation
- Recognizing clues in current family information
- Understanding basic best practices
- Introducing the Genealogical Proof Standard
Tools and Techniques
- Using certain tools for efficiency and communication
- Evaluating and documenting our sources
- Learning search techniques
Immigration and Evidence
- Identifying clues to origins
- Assessing information
- Examining a complete case
- Applying what you’ve learned
- Correlating information
- Identifying persons in a photo
Requirements and Materials
You will need access to a computer and the Internet. The following System Requirements are needed to successfully complete the program. Click for system requirements.
- Greenwood, Val D. The Researcher’s Guide to American Genealogy, 3rd ed.
Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 2000. 662pp. Hardbound. $29.95 ISBN: 978-0806316215
- Powell, Kimberly. The Everything Guide to Online Genealogy: Trace your roots, share your history, and create your family tree, 3rd ed.
Avon, MA: Adams Media, 2014. 304pp. Softbound. $16.95. ISBN: 978-1440570681