Boston University's self-paced financial planning program is a flexible and convenient way to pursue your CFP® certification online.
With our self-paced online financial planning program, you will receive a 21-month subscription to the course material. Our comprehensive online version of the core curriculum required to sit for the CFP® exam can be completed in 9 months with approximately 10 hours a week of effort. Designed by the esteemed Boston University faculty, the self-paced online financial planning program is fully asynchronous so you can work on any time of day and any day of the week.
The program consists of seven courses:
- Introduction to Financial Planning
- Risk Management
- Tax Planning
- Retirement and Employee Benefit Planning
- Estate Planning
- Capstone Course in Financial Planning
View the course outline
Want to work towards your CFP® certification education one course at a time? You can also purchase individual self-paced courses from Boston University.
PURCHASE INDIVIDUAL COURSES
Why choose the self-paced program?
With a convenient, fully asynchronous course curriculum, Boston University's self-paced online CFP® certification program is the ideal program for busy working professionals.
The benefits of the self-paced program include:
- Fully comprehensive online curriculum
- No travel to Boston required
- Course access anytime, anywhere
- Pace of progress is determined by each individual student
- Unlimited course access for up to 21 months
- Access to an experienced financial planning tutor via email
- Graduates have historically higher than average pass rates on the CFP® exam
- Certificate of completion from Boston University upon successful completion of the program
Required books and materials
Books and materials for the program cost approximately $1500 total.
Please visit our Books and Materials page to learn more.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ and federally registered CFP (with flame design) in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.